Ingredients – serves 6
For the moussaka:
- 2 aubergines
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly chopped
- 600 g minced lamb
- 70 g tomato puree
- 800 g diced canned tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- salt and black pepper
- 200 g feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- Lebanese flatbread
Make the moussaka:
- Cut the aubergines in 1cm large cubes, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan and fry the diced aubergine for 10 minutes until tender and lightly browned. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan and fry the onions and garlic for 3 minutes, add the lamb mince and fry for another 5 minutes, constantly stirring until browned.
- Add the tomatoes, cinnamon and tomato paste and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add the aubergine and simmer for another 10 minutes. Take off the heat.
- Cover the moussaka with the crumbled feta cheese, sprinkle the chopped mint over the cheese.
- Serve with torn pieces of Lebanese flatbread.