Ingredients – makes 16
For the raspberry scones:
- 1 egg
- 250 ml full fat milk
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 500 g flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 50 g sugar
- 125 g butter, cubed
- 175 g raspberries
For the vanilla mascarpone cream:
- 300 g mascarpone
- 150 ml double cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
Make the raspberry scones:
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Whisk the egg with the milk and lemon juice and set aside for a few minutes.
- Tip the flour, baking powder, sugar and butter into a food processor and whizz to fine crumbs. When not using a food processor: rub the flour, baking powder and sugar into the butter between your fingers until they form fine crumbs.
- Pour 3/4 of the egg and milk mixture into the flour and butter crumbs and quickly mix until it forms a dough.
- Stir in the raspberries and shape the mixture into a ball.
- Roll out the dough to 3 cm thick and cut out 16 circles with a round cutter.
- Line two baking sheets with baking paper, arrange the scones on the baking sheets and brush the top with the rest of the egg and milk mixture.
- Bake for 17 minutes. Take the scones out of the oven and leave to cool.
Make the vanilla mascarpone cream:
- Beat the mascarpone, the double cream and the vanilla extract with an electric mixer until smooth and slightly thickened.
- Sift in the icing sugar and fold into the mascarpone cream mixture until well combined.
Assemble the scones:
- Cut each scone in half, spoon or pipe some of the vanilla mascarpone cream on the bottom half and lightly press the top of each scone back on.