Ingredients – serves 8
For the cake:
- 4 eggs
- 70 g butter (+ some extra to prepare the cake tin)
- 260 g sugar
- zest of 2 lemons
- 220 g flour (+ some extra to prepare the cake tin)
- 5 g baking powder
- 40 g poppy seeds
- 100 ml double cream
For the icing:
- juice of half a lemon
- 30 g blueberries
- 250 g icing sugar
For the topping:
- a handful of blueberries
- fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar
Make the cake:
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Thoroughly brush a bundt tin with melted butter, then dust with flour.
- Whisk the eggs with the sugar and lemon zest for 8 minutes until pale and fluffy.
- Gently warm the cream, then pour it over the whisked eggs and give it a good stir.
- Sift the flour and baking powder over the mixture, tip in the poppy seeds and fold together.
- Melt the butter on a very low heath, add it to the batter and whisk until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, put it in the heated oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 160C/140C fan/gas 3 and bake for another 50 minutes. Take out of the oven, remove the cake from the tin and leave to cool.
Make the icing:
- Stir half of the icing sugar with the lemon juice in a small bowl to form a thick and smooth glaze.
- Mash the blueberries, rub them through a sieve with the back of a spoon into a second small bowl to remove the skin.
- Add the other half of the icing sugar to the sieved blueberry purée, mix until all sugar is dissolved and you get a smooth and thick pink glaze.
Assemble the cake:
- Drizzle the lemon icing over the cooled cake, let it set for 2 minutes.
- Spoon over the blueberry icing, then top with the whole blueberries.
- Decorate with a few sprigs of fresh rosemary and dust with the icing sugar.