Ingredients – serves 8
For the chocolate cake:
- 3 eggs
- 60 g butter
- 100 g sugar
- 50 g honey
- 115 g flour
- 5 g baking powder
- 65 g ground almonds
- 20 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 50 g dark chocolate
- 100 ml double cream
For the kirsch buttercream:
- 2 egg whites
- 100 g sugar
- 135 g butter, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon Kirsch
For the chocolate mousse:
- 300 double cream
- 150 g dark chocolate
For the topping:
- 30 cherries
Make the cake:
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Line a 20 cm springform tin with baking parchment.
- Whisk the eggs with the sugar and honey for 8 minutes until pale and fluffy.
- Gently warm the cream until it reaches boiling point, then remove from the heat. Add the chocolate and stir until dissolved.
- Pour the chocolate mix over the whisked eggs and give it a good stir.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa over the mixture, tip in the ground almonds and fold together.
- Melt the butter on a very low heath, add it to the batter and whisk in until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, put it in the heated oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 160C/140C fan/gas 3 and bake for another 50 minutes. Take out of the oven and leave to cool.
Make the chocolate mousse:
- Break the chocolate in small pieces into a large pan and pour in 75 ml of the cream.
- Put on the lowest possible heat and stir until the chocolate has melted and everything is combined. Take of the heat and set aside.
- Put the rest of the cream into large bowl and whisk to soft peaks.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the bowl containing the whisked cream and fold together until they are evenly and smoothly mixed.
- Put in the fridge and leave to firm up for 1 hour.
Make the kirsch buttercream:
- Put the egg whites and sugar in a mixing bowl, simmer over a pot of water and whisk constantly but gently until the temperature reaches 60°C (if you don’t have a thermometer: until the sugar has completely dissolved and the egg whites are warm), then remove from the heat.
- Whip the warmed egg withes for 10 minutes with the whisk attachment of the mixer, until the meringue is thick, glossy and cooled down.
- Switch over to paddle attachment and mix in the butter cubes, one at a time. Keep mixing until the buttercream has reached a silky smooth texture.
- Add the Kirsch to the buttercream and beat until incorporated.
Assemble the cake:
- Cut the cooled cake in half. Cut 18 cherries in half and remove the pit.
- Spread half of the buttercream on the bottom half of the cake, leaving a gap of 2 to 3 cm. Put halved cherries on the buttercream, then cover them with the remaining half of the buttercream.
- Add dollops of the chocolate mousse to fill the gap and spread a thin layer on the buttercream.
- Put the top layer of the cake back on and sandwich together. Decorate the sides of the cake with the remaining halved cherries.
- Pipe some chocolate mousse on the cake and top with the reserved whole cherries.
One thought on “Almond chocolate cake with Kirsch buttercream, cherries & chocolate mousse”
Delicious cake, will definitely try the recipe!
LikeLiked by 1 person