Ingredients – serves 4
For the pastry case:
- 200 g plain flour
- 100 g butter, diced and chilled
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon of milk
For the filling:
- 3 eggs
- 300 ml double cream
- 150 g soft goat cheese
- 50 g parmesan cheese, grated
- 100 g smoked streaky bacon, cubed
- a handful of pecan nuts, chopped
- 3 sprigs of rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
- ground black pepper
For the topping:
- 2 small pears
- 10 pecan nuts
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- a few small rosemary sprigs
Make the pastry case:
- Tip the flour and butter into a food processor and whizz to fine crumbs. When not using a food processor: rub the flour into the butter between your fingers until they form fine crumbs.
- Add the egg yolk and water, then whizz to a smooth dough. When not using a food processor: knead the egg yolk, water and buttery flour crumbs to form a smooth dough.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a round about 5cm larger than a 25cm tin.
- Line the tin with the rolled out pastry, trim the edges and prick the base all over with a fork.
- Use the pastry trimmings to cut out a pear shape and some small leaves, then brush with the milk.
- Place the lined tin and cut out shapes onto a baking tray and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Bake the pastry case for 25 minutes, remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
Make the filling:
- Put the eggs, double cream, goat cheese and parmesan cheese in a bowl.
- Mix well until combined, then stir in the smoked streaky bacon cubes, chopped pecan nuts and rosemary, season with salt and black pepper.
- Pour the mixture into the baked pastry case.
Make the topping:
- Core and quarter the pears and place the slices in a circle on the mixture in the pastry case.
- Drizzle with the honey and arrange the pecan nuts on top.
- Put the quiche in the oven and bake for another 35 minutes until the filling is set.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool for a few minutes, then carefully lift the quiche from the tin.
- Decorate with the cut out pastry shapes and small rosemary sprigs and serve.