Ingredients – makes 12 tartlets
For the pastry cases:
- 200 g plain flour
- 100 g butter, diced and chilled
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 25g parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons of water
For the filling:
- 3 eggs
- 300 ml double cream
- 150 g soft matured goat cheese
- a handful of walnuts, chopped
- ground black pepper
For the topping:
- 400 g cooked beetroot, thinly sliced
- 1 courgette, thinly sliced
- olive oil
Make the pastry cases:
- Tip the flour, parmesan cheese and butter into a food processor and whizz to fine crumbs. When not using a food processor: rub the flour and parmesan cheese into the butter between your fingers until they form fine crumbs.
- Add the thyme and water, then whizz to a smooth dough. When not using a food processor: knead the thyme, water and buttery flour crumbs to form a smooth dough.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry to a thickness of about 3 mm. Cut out rounds of pastry just larger than the Ø 10 cm tartlet tins.
- Line 12 tins with the pastry rounds and prick the base all over with a fork.
- Place the lined tins onto a baking tray and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Bake the pastry cases for 25 minutes, remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Carefully tip the baked pastry out of the tins, put on a wire rack and leave to cool.
Make the filling:
- Put the eggs, double cream and goat cheese in a bowl.
- Mix well until combined, then stir in the chopped walnuts and season with salt and black pepper.
- Divide the mixture between the pastry cases.
Make the topping:
- Arrange the thinly sliced courgette on the filled tartlets to form a circle.
- Drizzle with some olive oil.
- Place about 12 beetroot slices lengthwise in a straight line, overlapping slightly.
- Starting on one end, roll beetroot slices to the other end of the line to form a rose.
- Continue with the other slices until you have 12 beetroot roses.
- Put the beetroot roses on top of the courgette circles.
- Return the tartlets to the oven and bake for another 25 minutes until the filling is set.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool for a few minutes and serve.