Ingredients – serves 8
For the churros:
- 275 g plain flour
- 55 g butter, in small cubes
- 375 ml boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 75 g sugar
- sunflower oil to fry
For the chocolate sauce:
- 175 g dark chocolate
- 100 ml water
- 30 g butter
Make the churros:
- Add the butter to the boiling water in pan and stir until it’s melted.
- Tip the flour and baking powder in a mixing bowl, pour in the water with the melted butter and quickly mix to form a thick batter.
- Set the dough aside for 10 minutes and heath the oil in a deep fryer to 180°C.
- Fill a piping bag with the batter. Pipe some 10 to 15 cm long strips into the hot oil, snipping them off with a pair of scissors.
- Fry for a few minutes until golden brown and crisp, then remove the churros from the oil and let them drain on some kitchen paper.
- Repeat until all the dough is used, then toss the churros in some sugar to cover.
Make the chocolate sauce:
- Break the chocolate into small chunks.
- Heat the water in a saucepan, tip in the chocolate and add the butter.
- Gently melt together and stir until you have a smooth sauce.
- Serve with the churros.