Ingredients – serves 8
For the meringue wreath:
- 3 egg whites
- 75 g sugar
- 50 g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
For the rosewater cream:
- 300 ml whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon rosewater
For the topping:
- 3 figs
- 12 blanched almonds
- 4 dried pink rosebuds
- 1 tablespoon honey
Make the meringue wreath:
- Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl to stiff peaks.
- Tip in the sugar and carry on whisking until you have a thick, glossy mixture. Sift in the icing sugar and fold into the mixture.
- Combine the cornflour, vinegar and almond extract and mix into the egg whites.
- Heat the oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2 and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Dollop big spoonfuls of the mixture into the middle of the baking parchment to form a circle.
- Bake for 1,5 hours. Turn off the oven and leave the meringue inside for 30 minutes to cool.
- Remove from the oven, put on a wire rack and leave to cool.
Make the rosewater cream:
- Whisk the whipping cream to soft peaks.
- Mix in the icing sugar and rosewater.
- Spoon the cream on the meringue wreath.
Assemble the pavlova:
- Quarter the figs lengthwise and place them on the cream.
- Roughly chop the almonds and scatter over the wreath.
- Pick the leaves from the rosebuds and sprinkle over the pavlova to decorate.
- Drizzle with the honey and serve.