For the gingerbread cookies:
- 75 g brown sugar
- 40 g honey
- 50 g butter
- 175 g plain flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 small egg
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- hazelnuts, to decorate
For the icing:
- 25 g egg white
- 115 g sifted powdered sugar
- 2 drops white vinegar
- red food colouring
Make the gingerbread cookies:
- Heat the butter in a pan over a medium heat until melted. Tip in the sugar and honey and stir until dissolved.
- Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and the spices in a bowl, then stir in the egg and the melted butter mix.
- Put the dough in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and line baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Roll out the dough to 4 mm thick and stamp out little gingerbread men.
- Lift the cut out gingerbread men onto the baking sheets and place a hazelnut between the arms, then carefully fold them inwards.
- Bake for 12 minutes, remove from the oven, put on wire racks and leave to cool.
Make the icing:
- Mix the egg white with 75 g of the sugar for 10 to 15 minutes with an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Add the drops of white vinegar and the rest of the sugar and mix for another 10 minutes.
- Put half of the icing in a small mixing bowl and add a few drops of the red food colouring, stir in until you get the desired colour.
- Decorate with the icing: pipe 2 red dots for buttons and a white smiley face.