Ingredients – makes 1
For the brioche:
- 300 ml + 2 tablespoons milk
- 50 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 500 g flour
- 25 g sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 11g fast-action dried yeast
- 6 tablespoons hazelnut & almond paste
Make the brioche:
- Melt the butter with 300ml milk in a small saucepan over a low heat while stirring, take off the heath and beat in 1 egg.
- Tip the flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl, add the liquids and mix well to combine.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8 minutes until a smooth and elastic dough, then divide it in half.
- Roll one piece out into a large rectangular with a thickness of 3mm, spread half of the hazelnut & almond paste in a thin layer evenly over the dough. Starting with a long side, roll the dough into a tight coil. Repeat with the other half of dough.
- Slice the dough coils in half lengthwise to expose the filling, then braid the 4 pieces. Cover the inside of a bread tin with baking paper. Place the braided dough in the tin, letting it curl around itself if it’s too long for the tin.
- Cover loosely with a clean kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes. Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
- Mix 1 egg with 2 tablespoons of milk, brush the dough with the egg wash and bake for 40 minutes in the preheated oven.