Ingredients – serves 8
For the dulce de leche:
- 1 can of 305 ml condensed sweetened milk
For the banana tatin cake:
- 4 ripe bananas
- 250 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs
- 180 g sugar
- 120 g butter
- dulce de leche
Make the dulce de leche:
- Place the closed can of condensed sweetened milk in a large pan and fill it with water to cover the can completely.
- Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 3 hours.
- Check every 30 to 45 minutes to ensure the water level stays above the can, adding water when necessary to top it up.
- Take the pan from the heat and leave the can to cool completely.
Make the banana tatin cake:
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Line a 20 cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of dulce de leche on the bottom of the cake tin.
- Thinly slice 1 banana and place the slices on top of the dulce de leche in a circular pattern.
- Put the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and sugar in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Melt the butter in a pan over a low heat and pour into a second bowl.
- Mash 3 bananas and stir with the sugar, eggs and 4 tablespoons of dulce de leche into the melted butter.
- Tip into the dry ingredients and mix to combine until smooth.
- Carefully pour over the banana slices in the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes, lower the heat to 160C/140C fan/gas 3 and bake for another 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, invert the tatin cake on a plate and leave to cool.
- Drizzle with the remaining dulce de leche.