Ingredients – makes 12 individual cakes
For the red velvet cake:
- 125 g butter
- 125 g dark chocolate
- 250 g plain flour
- 250 g sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg
- 150 ml buttermilk
- 200 g cooked beetroot
- 75 ml boiling water
- 1 tablespoon red food colouring
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 90 g icing sugar
- 100 g butter, softened
- 300 g cream cheese
Make the red velvet cake:
- Whizz the egg, buttermilk and cooked beetroot until smooth.
- Melt the butter and chocolate together and stir into the beetroot mixture.
- Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Tip the mixed beetroot, food colouring and boiling water into the mixing bowl and stir well.
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Pour the mixture in a 20×30 cm cake tin and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, put the cake on a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- Once cooled, cut out 24 hearts (or divide into 24 squares).
Make the cream cheese frosting:
- Beat the butter and the cream cheese well with an electric mixer until very smooth.
- Sift in the icing sugar and fold into the cheese mixture until even.
Assemble the individual cakes:
- Cover half of the cut out hearts (or squares) with a layer of frosting, sandwich together with the remaining half.
- Pipe little dots of frosting on top of the cakes. Chill until needed.