Ingredients – makes 12 cookies
For the gingerbread cookies:
- 300 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 150 g butter
- 60 g white sugar
- 60 g brown sugar
- 30 g honey
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
For the cinnamon custard buttercream filling:
- 150 g softened butter
- 225 g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 100 ml milk
Make the gingerbread cookies:
- Tip the flour and butter into a food processor and whizz to fine crumbs. When not using a food processor: rub the flour into the butter between your fingers until they form fine crumbs.
- Add the sugar, honey, spices and egg yolks, then whizz to a smooth dough. When not using a food processor: knead the sugar, honey, spices, egg yolks and buttery flour crumbs to form a smooth dough.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry to a thickness of about 5 mm and cut out 24 stars.
- Put the stars on baking trays lined with baking parchment and cool for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and bake the gingerbread cookies for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, put on wire racks and leave to cool.
Make the filling:
- Mix the cinnamon and the cornstarch with the milk. Bring to a low boil for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk until the mixture thickens. Set aside and leave to cool completely.
- Sift the icing sugar into the softened butter, and beat to incorporate. Add the cooled custard to the sugared butter and mix thoroughly until smooth.
- Pipe some custard buttercream onto a cookie, then sandwich with another cookie. Clean the edges with a knife.
- When all the cookies are ready, dust with the extra cinnamon.