Ingredients – makes 12 biscuits
For the biscuits:
- 250 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 50 g ground almonds
- 200 g butter
- 120 g sugar
- 2 egg yolks
For the vanilla custard buttercream filling:
- 150 g softened butter
- 200 g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 3 tbsp vanilla custard powder
Make the biscuits:
- Tip the flour, ground almonds and butter into a food processor and whizz to fine crumbs. When not using a food processor: rub the flour and ground almonds into the butter between your fingers until they form fine crumbs.
- Add the sugar and egg yolks, then whizz to a smooth dough. When not using a food processor: knead the sugar, egg yolks and buttery flour crumbs to form a smooth dough.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry to a thickness of about 5 mm and cut into 24 squares.
- Put the squares on baking trays lined with baking parchment and cool for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and bake the biscuits for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, put on wire racks and leave to cool.
Make the filling:
- Sift the icing sugar and custard powder into the softened butter, mix thoroughly until smooth.
- Pipe some buttercream onto a biscuit, then sandwich with another biscuit.
- When all the biscuits are ready, dust with the extra icing sugar.