Ingredients – serves 12
For the chocolate muffins:
- 3 eggs
- 250 g butter
- 250 g sugar
- 250 g flour
- 50 g unsweetened cocoa powder, plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 100 ml buttermilk
For the chocolate almond cookies:
- 100 g plain flour
- 25 g cocoa powder
- 25 g ground almonds
- 100 g butter
- 60 g sugar
- 1 egg yolk
For the chocolate buttercream:
- 2 egg whites
- 100 g sugar
- 135 g butter, cut into cubes
- 100 g dark chocolate
For the chocolate ganache:
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 75 ml double cream
Make the chocolate muffins:
- Heat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
- Put paper cases into a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Put the sugar, flour, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl and mix to combine.
- Melt the butter in a pan over a very low heat and pour into a second bowl.
- Whisk the buttermilk and eggs into the melted butter.
- Tip into the dry ingredients and quickly fold with a spoon to combine.
- Divide the mixture between the muffin holes and bake for 20 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely.
Make the chocolate almond cookies:
- Tip the flour, cocoa powder, ground almonds and butter into a food processor and whizz to fine crumbs. When not using a food processor: rub the flour and ground almonds into the butter between your fingers until they form fine crumbs.
- Add the sugar and egg yolk, then whizz to a smooth dough. When not using a food processor: knead the sugar, egg yolk and buttery flour crumbs to form a smooth dough.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry to a thickness of about 5 mm and cut into 12 small rectangles.
- Put the rectangles on a baking tray lined with baking parchment and cool for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and bake the biscuits for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, put on a wire rack and leave to cool.
Make the chocolate buttercream:
- Put the egg whites and sugar in a mixing bowl, simmer over a pot of water and whisk constantly but gently until the temperature reaches 60°C (if you don’t have a thermometer: until the sugar has completely dissolved and the egg whites are warm), then remove from the heat.
- Whip the warmed egg withes for 10 minutes with the whisk attachment of the mixer, until the meringue is thick, glossy and cooled down.
- Switch over to a paddle attachment and mix in the butter cubes, one at a time. Keep mixing until the buttercream has reached a silky smooth texture.
- Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pot of simmering water. Once melted, add to the buttercream and beat until incorporated.
Make the chocolate ganache:
- Heat the cream in a small pan until just steaming, then take off the heat.
- Break the chocolate in small pieces.
- Add the chocolate to the warm cream and leave to melt for 5 minutes.
- Stir to make a glossy ganache, then set aside to firm up a little.
Assemble the quadruple chocolate muffins:
- Scoop out 1 teaspoon of cake and fill with chocolate ganache.
- Pipe a swirl of buttercream on each muffin and top with a cookie.
- Lightly dust with cocoa powder.