Ingredients – serves 8
For the split pea soup:
- 500 g green split peas
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 2 l chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 300 g smoked sausage
- 300 g fresh peas (or frozen)
- black pepper
For the croutons:
- 3 slices of firm white bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
Make the soup:
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the shallots until softened, but not coloured.
- Tip in the split peas and stir to coat in the oil, then pour over the chicken stock.
- Chop 50 g of the smoked sausage into small pieces and add to the soup.
- Bring to a boil for 5 minutes, then lower the heat and simmer for 35 minutes until the split peas are softened.
- Remove from the heat and blend until smooth.
- Cut the remaining sausage into thick slices and stir into the soup.
- Tip in the fresh (or frozen) peas, season with plenty of black pepper and a little salt and bring back to the boil for 5 minutes.
Make the croutons:
- Cut the slices of bread into long strips.
- Melt the butter on a medium high heat in a large pan
- Add the strips of bread and turn them in the butter so they get lightly coated.
- Spread the croutons out in a single layer in the pan.
- Once they start to brown, lift them up and turn them over to brown the other sides.
- Remove from the heat and serve with the soup.